Watch Dr. Bryan Kansas’ video on Penuma Penile Male Enhancement surgery
Penuma is an FDA cleared penile implant designed specifically for cosmetic enhancement. The implant is manufactured in the United States from soft, natural feeling, medical-grade silicone. It is entirely different in shape and function from medical implants used to treat erectile dysfunction. At Urology Austin, Penuma implant surgery is performed by Dr. Bryan Kansas. Dr. Kansas is the first Urologist in Central Texas and the second in the state of Texas to be trained in the Penuma procedure. In addition, he is one of the first surgeons in the world trained to perform Penuma.
Penuma evaluation and eligibility
The Penuma implant does not treat erectile dysfunction. Instead, it is a cosmetic option for men who are interested in the following:
- Increasing their penile flaccid length
- Increasing their penile flaccid and erect girth
During the consultation, interested patients should expect a physical exam, a discussion about their medical history, why they’re interested in this procedure, current medical conditions and a review of prescription medications. The doctor will also step through a penile rating guide with the patient. This guide includes a series of images in which the patient is asked to identify the following:
- The image that best represents their flaccid length and girth
- The image that best represents their erect length and girth
- The image that best represents their expectation of flaccid length and girth after surgery
- The image that best represents their expectation of erect length and girth after surgery
The doctor may also request a psychiatric evaluation to rule out dysmorphic disorder. On occasion, some patients may not meet the criteria needed to proceed with the implant.
If the patient is cleared for the procedure, the physician will make their recommendation on which size Penuma should be implanted depending on the patient’s interest and actual physical allowances.
How is the procedure performed?
Penuma is an out-patient procedure performed in a surgery center under general anesthesia. At the beginning of the procedure, the surgeon will make a small incision above the base of the penis. The implant will then be inserted through the incision along the shaft of the penis. At this time, the surgical implant will be contoured to fit the patient’s shape. Once in place, the Penuma is secured by small sutures that are undetectable. Watch the video at the bottom of this page for more detail.
Is Penuma covered by insurance?
Because Penuma is an elective, cosmetic surgery, it is not covered by insurance. Patients interested in this procedure will be paying out-of-pocket. Our billing team will be able to assist patients in determining their cost.
Click here to learn more about CareCredit, a financial option for medical expenses that are not covered by insurance.
Pre-op and post-op instructions
The physician will discuss pre- and post-op instructions with all patients who choose to proceed with the implant. The following instructions will apply:
Before the operation
- No food or drink after midnight prior to the operation.
- Shower with Hibiclens liquid skin cleanser the night before and the morning of the procedure. Hibiclens is an antibacterial and antimicrobial cleanser available at most pharmacies.
After the operation
- A JP drain will be placed during surgery that exits the incision site. This drain is typically removed three days after surgery.
- Patients should not lift over 25 lbs. for a minimum of two weeks.
- No sexual intercourse or stimulation for a minimum of six weeks.
- Do not touch or manipulate the penis – except during urination – for 4 weeks.
As with any surgical procedure, there can be risks. Men who undergo the Penuma procedure may experience the following:
If you’re interested in learning more about the Penuma penile implant, contact our office to schedule an appointment with Dr. Bryan Kansas. You can also fill in and submit the Penuma Eligibility Questionnaire prior to your consultation with Dr. Kansas.
Learn more about the Penuma procedure by visiting their website.
Watch Penuma educational videos and much more on their Instagram page.
Before and after photos
Dr. Kansas provided the following before and after photos from recent Penuma implant surgeries that he has performed:
Penuma implant before and after photos
The link below displays before and after photos of men who have had the Penuma procedure. This link contains nudity and is meant for adult men who are interested in learning more about this procedure. It should not be viewed by adolescents under the age of 18. Photos courtesy of Gesiva Medical, LLC.
Procedure animation video
Video courtesy of Gesiva Medical, LLC