Urology Austin

Meet Dr. Sundaram, Doctor of the Month

Get to Know Dr. Varun Sundaram

How and Why Did You Become a Urologist?

I like operating, seeing patients, and developing long-term relationships with them. Choosing urology as a specialty allowed me to operate and do procedures, but still maintain that patient relationship that I value. 

I kind of discovered urology after doing research in the field. Both my undergraduate and medical degrees came from Washington University in St. Louis, and I completed my general surgery internship and urology residency at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.

What’s an Average Day Like for You?

I see patients at Jollyville and Westlake, so I’m in different locations on different days. About 70 percent of the time, I’m in the office, and the other 30 percent I’m in the operating room. Some of my time in the office is spent doing things we do in the clinic. I’ve been with Urology Austin for two and a half years, and moved here after practicing urology in Gresham, Oregon.

What’s Your Favorite Part of Working in Urology?

My favorite parts of this job are treating men’s health and prostate cancer. That’s kind of my specialty area, and it’s about 80 percent of what I do. With BPH and prostate cancer, I do both benign and cancerous treatments. This appeals to me because it’s a serious problem with very good options for treatment that are efficacious and can cure patients. You see a lot of improvement, and patients report a significant improvement in lifestyle. It’s fulfilling. 

I really enjoy our team here, as well. The MAs are wonderful to work with, and everyone works together toward a common goal. It’s like being on a sports team.

What’s Your Approach to Patient Care?

I listen to what patients have to say, think about the options in a very methodical and careful manner, and come up with a plan that incorporates their wishes and can best fix the problem.

The technology available at Urology Austin is like nowhere else. Because we are a big group, there are procedures and tools other places can’t offer, and we are always on the cutting edge of medical care.

What Do You Like to Do Outside of Work?

I am married, and it’s just me and my wife. I enjoy cooking and eating, and we are into wine tasting. I enjoy spending time with my nephews, who are 8 and 10 and live 10 minutes down the road from us. Even though I’m not from Austin, my entire family is here. They all migrated here, and I was the last person to move here to be closer to them. 

Learn More About Dr. Sundaram Here

Comments are closed.

Like Us on Facebook