Female urology includes many conditions unique to women.
Female urology covers a group of conditions that are most commonly experienced by women. While some of these conditions are also experienced by male patients, others are specific to female patients. At Urology Austin, our providers are well-versed in all aspects of female urology, and are committed to serving women of all ages.
In reality, female urology issues can arise during the high school and college age years, particularly for active young women who experience urinary leakage while participating in sports. Female urology concerns can follow women through their child-bearing years, pre- and post-menopause, and as they age. Some of the female urology issues frequently experienced by women include:
- Urinary incontinence – including urge, stress, overflow, functional, and mixed incontinence
- Overactive bladder (OAB)
- Urinary frequency
- Urinary urgency
- Urinary tract infections (UTI)
- Interstitial Cystitis (IC) or chronic pelvic pain
- Hematuria – blood in the urine
- Nocturia – frequent trips to the bathroom during the night
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Female sexual dysfunction
- Pelvic organ prolapse (see the following)
- Cystocele – when the bladder protrudes out of the vagina
- Rectocele – when the rectum protrudes out of the vagina
- Enterocele – when the small intestine (bowel) protrudes out of the vagina
- Urethrocele – when the urethra protrudes out of the vagina
- Cystourethrocele – when both the bladder and urethra protrude out of the vagina
- Uterine prolapse – when the uterus protrudes out of the vagina
- Vaginal vault prolapse – this can occur after a hysterectomy
At Urology Austin, our highly-trained urologists are adept at diagnosing and treating conditions unique to female urology. We are also proud to have both male and female providers on staff for your privacy and comfort. We offer patients many pharmacological, minimally invasive in-office and surgical options to address their needs. Among our overactive bladder solutions are Interstim sacral nerve therapy, Percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation (PTNS) and botox injections into the bladder. Our providers are passionate about applying the right solutions for both long-term results that are convenient and comfortable for our female patients.
Women who are experiencing any female urology issues are invited to contact one of our conveniently located medical offices for a consultation and evaluation. At Urology Austin, our mission is to continue treating our female urology patients with the care and respect they deserve.