Our urologists diagnose and treat all aspects of general urology.
General urology covers a wide range of medical conditions commonly experienced by both male and female patients. At Urology Austin, our urologists and advanced practice providers are highly-qualified to diagnose and treat general urology concerns using conservative, minimally invasive, and surgical approaches.
General urology issues, such as urinary leakage, can start early when active teenagers begin participating in sports. Events that involve running or constant jumping, such as basketball, can trigger stress incontinence. Oftentimes, incontinence is prevalent following childbirth, when pelvic floor muscles are weakened after delivering one or more children. In actuality, general urology issues can continue to affect both men and women throughout the many stages of their adult life. The following medical issues are characterized as general urology:
- Urinary incontinence / leakage (see the following forms of incontinence)
- Urge incontinence – The sudden urge to urinate that can result in leakage or a wetting accident.
- Stress incontinence – Urinary leakage that is triggered by a stressor such as laughing, sneezing, lifting, coughing or exercising. Stress incontinence may also appear after childbirth due to weakened pelvic floor muscles.
- Functional incontinence – Urinary leakage that occurs when an individual is functionally unable to get to the bathroom in time. This can be the result of limited mobility due to a disease state or aging.
- Overflow incontinence – Leakage that occurs when the bladder is full causing urine to overflow the bladder involuntary.
- Mixed incontinence – A mix of two or more forms of urinary incontinence – typically stress and urge incontinence.
- Overactive bladder (OAB)
- Urinary urgency and frequency
- Hematuria – Blood in the urine including gross or microscopic hematuria.
- Urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Bladder infection
- Kidney infection
- Kidney, bladder or ureteral stones
- Kidney cysts
- Bladder cancer
- Kidney cancer
At Urology Austin, we’re committed to staying at the forefront of scientific developments in medications and techniques that address general urology conditions. With over 40 providers at 18 convenient locations, we are committed to making our urological experience easily accessible to patients across Central Texas.
If you feel that you are experiencing any issues that relate to general urology, call the office nearest you to schedule an appointment at your earliest convenience. Our providers are ready to assess your symptoms and administer treatment options specific to your health needs.