Urology Austin
Same and Next Day Appointments - Call Us!

Meet Dr. Grady Bruce, Doctor of the Month

How and why did you become a urologist?

Once I got into medical school, I didn’t have a strong idea I would become a urologist. But in my general surgery rotation, I realized I gravitated toward procedural things. I did general surgery and next, I worked with OB-GYN, and while I liked some parts of that, I didn’t want to deliver babies. 

I had a classmate who told me given my interests, I should take urology as an elective, and ‘Boom!’ I found my place. The residents were great, the attendings were everyday people and they did all these cool surgeries. With urology, there is diversity in disease space and how you manage it medically or through minimally invasive surgery or major reconstructive surgery. 

Urology can cover radiology, pathology, microbiology, immunology, fertility, cancer management and kidney stones. All that was intriguing to me. 

Once I started learning more about urology, I was curious about female urology. I realized while anatomy hasn’t changed since we’ve been walking the planet, our understanding of this area is only more recently evolving. I felt there was a need for more knowledge in this area. I was the first urologist in Austin to be board certified in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery (FPMRS). 

What is an average day like for you?

My mornings start at the gym, and then I go home and help my son with his personal care needs. He’s 26 and has autism and is non-verbal. My family and faith both are priorities in my life. I usually get to work at about 8 o’clock. 

I spend about half of my time in the clinic seeing new patients, doing follow-up visits or handling office procedures. The rest is in the operating room and about 80 percent are things like: female prolapse, urogynecology, robotic prolapse repair, male incontinence or bladder dysfunction. The other 20 percent is general urology or handling kidney stones if I am on call.

We have a fantastic team, and I rely on them every day. I truly love my nurses, medical assistants and PA. I would let any of my partners operate on me. Not all doctors can say that, and the fact I can is a real blessing. 

What is your favorite part of working in urology?

If you were to ask what my happy place in my professional world is, it’s in the operating room. It’s where I am most at ease because it’s one of the only places that allows me to be singularly focused. If my phone goes off, even if I’m on call, I can’t do anything about it. I obviously can’t leave and go somewhere else. Being in the present moment gives me a comfort level and eases my stress. I am completely in the moment, and I enjoy that.

In our work lives full of metrics of productivity and electronic health entries, everything is just so busy. We are not good at being still. So, I enjoy the operating room a lot.

What is your approach to patient care? 

I recognize what we are doing is trying to help people with problems they generally don’t want to talk about. And if we can help them, it can greatly improve their quality of life. 

I had a mentor while in fellowship who said incontinence won’t kill you, but it can take your life away. You must look at the whole person, their values and their support system. It’s enriching to understand what to do to help the whole patient. I can do a great operation, but if they don’t have support at home, it might not work out well. You must know the whole person emotionally, spiritually and physically. I look at those three parts, and then it’s rewarding. 

What do you like to do outside of work?

I love spending time with my family. We are highly active! 

I have twin daughters who are 24, my son who is 26, and my amazing wife Amy. She and I have been married for 30 years. We have a home in Purgatory, Colorado, outside Durango. We love to snowboard and ski. My son skis with The Adaptive Sports Association which is just amazing. 

Our family also loves to boat and wake surf. We all love the water. My son is in therapeutic horseback riding. 

I know that our son has influenced all of us. One of my daughters is in her third year of medical school, and my other daughter is in her third year of occupational therapy and wants to do adaptive sports therapy. 

When I do have spare time, I like to play golf. I grew up on the golf course and played while in college. I still play in tournaments, and I fit it in where I can, but we have a lot to keep us busy. 

For all the things I do, I prioritize my faith and my time with my family. My family is a blessing and one of my greatest joys. 

Learn More About Dr. Bruce Here:   https://urologyaustin.com/doctors/r-grady-bruce-md/











Comments are closed.

Like Us on Facebook