Penile curvature or Peyronie’s disease can effect erectile function.
Penile curvature, or Peyronie’s disease is caused by scar tissue within the erectile tissue that forms the shape of the penis. Penile curvature is most obvious during an erection, and may be so severe that penetration during intercourse is painful or impossible. Penile curvature is a urologic condition that occurs among men of all ages, and is most likely caused by a injury that is acquired during sexual intercourse. However, men may or may not know that they have injured themselves until after the fact. Penile curvature may also be the result of an injury received outside of intercourse.
Symptoms of Peyronie’s disease
Symptoms of Peyronie’s disease can vary from one patient to another. However, the following symptoms, especially in combination, may indicate the presence of the disease:
- A curved penis – notable during erection
- Inability to achieve penetration during intercourse
- Painful intercourse
- Erectile dysfunction
- Painful erections
- A lump or thickening of the penile shaft
How Is penile curvature treated?
Treatment for Peyronie’s disease may not be necessary unless the condition interferes with an active, healthy sex life, or is causing pain. There are several options available for treating penile curvature:
- No treatment – condition may improve over time
- Oral medications / Vitamin E supplementation – questionable course that may not be effective
- Medications injected into the penis
- Penile traction therapy to straighten the penis – therapy may not be effective
- Penile implant
- Sexual counseling
Surgical options include:
- Removal of the scar tissue (penile plaque) and correction of the curvature.
- Insertion of a penile implant/prosthesis.
Peyronie’s disease can negatively impact both the patient and his partner. It’s a condition that can be addressed medically, surgically, or through sexual counseling. The best treatment option will be determined based on:
- Severity of the curvature
- Patient symptoms
- Patient preference
If you have penile curvature, and would like to discuss your condition with one of our urologists, call the Urology Austin location nearest you to schedule an appointment.