Treatment for prostate cancer allows men to choose from several proven options.
Statistics indicate that 1 in 9 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during their lifetime. Fortunately, there are several prostate cancer treatment options available to men – both surgically and minimally invasive.
Treatment options continue to advance with technological and pharmacological improvements. In the past, surgical removal of the prostate was a standard of care. With today’s availability of treatment alternatives, patients can work with their surgeon to determine which option is appropriate to treat the cancer, while considering quality of life issues such as continence and impotence.
When deciding a course of treatment, the following factors will be considered:
- The stage and grade of the tumor.
- The aggressiveness of the cancer.
- Whether the cancer has moved outside of the prostate capsule into adjoining organs or bone.
- Whether the cancer has metastasized throughout the body.
- Previous cancer treatments.
- The patient’s overall health.
- Pre-existing conditions.
- Patient preference.
Prostate cancer treatment options
At Urology Austin our providers will advise patients on treatment options including:
- Watchful waiting / active surveillance – No immediate treatment, instead, cancer is monitored over time.
- Prostatectomy – A surgical technique to remove part of the prostate.
- Radical prostatectomy – A surgical technique to remove the entire prostate through traditional surgical methods.
- daVinci robotic surgery – The partial or entire removal of the prostate utilizing the daVinci robot.
- Radiation therapy – Using targeted radiation to destroy cancer over a designated course of treatments.
- Cryotherapy – A surgical technique that targets extreme cold to eradicate cancerous cells.
- Chemotherapy – Treatment of prostate cancer using anti-cancer drugs.
- Brachytherapy – The placement of small radiation capsules (seeds) directly into the prostate gland. These seeds are placed in close proximity to cancerous tumors.
- High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) – Minimally-invasive treatment that targets cancerous cells with extreme heat.
Ultimately, the appropriate treatment option is an individualized decision between the patient and their urologist. If you’re interested in a prostate health evaluation, or have a personal or family history of prostate cancer, contact Urology Austin to schedule an appointment.