Urology Austin Central Laboratory
Urology Austin operates an in-house, nationally accredited clinical laboratory as part of our comprehensive service to patients. Dr. Mathew Putzi oversees our Laboratory and is a board-certified Anatomic Pathologist. He holds fellowships in Genitourinary Pathology and Kidney and Urologic Pathology.
Under Dr. Putzi’s leadership, the laboratory is certified and meets all requirements of the Laboratory Accreditation Program of the College of American Pathologists (CAP). CAP is the world’s largest organization of Board-Certified Pathologists, serving patients, Pathologists, and the public by fostering and advocating excellence in all clinical laboratory disciplines.
CAP accreditation is determined by stringent on-site inspections and requires the laboratory to maintain the highest quality of analysis and testing of patient specimens. In addition, CAP inspects and certifies all aspects of laboratory operations, including records management, quality control, instrumentation and equipment, staff qualifications, safety, and review of all policies and procedures.
The Urology Austin Central Laboratory is accredited by CAP for the following patient services:
- Anatomic Pathology (including Digital Pathology)
- Special Chemistry
- Cytology (Non-Gynecologic)
- Microbiology (Urine Cultures – Routine, Molecular and Fungal)
- Surgical Pathology
Urology Austin Laboratory Services include:
- Prostate Biopsy Diagnosis
- Bladder Biopsy and Resection Diagnosis
- Other Genitourinary Surgical Specimen Resection and Diagnosis
- Digital Pathology
- Molecular testing for Prostate Tissue
- Urine Culture (Routine and Molecular Guidance Testing)
- Urine Culture for Yeast
- Prostate specific antigen (PSA)
- Testosterone, total- serum/plasma
Non- GYN Cytopathology-Urine Cytology
- Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization Interpretation
- Cytology w/ reflex to FISH Atypical or Suspicious
If you have a family history of prostate or bladder cancer, consider scheduling an appointment with one of our urologists for an initial screening. Contact Urology Austin at the location nearest you.
Urology Austin patients benefit from knowing our laboratory has distinguished itself among the 8,000 CAP-accredited laboratories worldwide, and the convenience of having their samples sent to Urology Austin Laboratory, where our highly trained Clinical Laboratory Scientists analyze and test samples, providing timely results to your physician.